Ionic framework was launched in 2013 by Drifty Co. And it went viral in no time. Within 2 years of its launch, more than 1.3 million apps were created with the ionic SDK. And there was no looking back for ionic since that day.
Here in this article, we are going to look at the reasons why Progressive Web App (PWA) developers find ionic as the perfect framework for developing Progressive Web Apps.
1. Ionic & Progressive Web Apps
First and foremost, ionic is an open-source SDK. And it is widely used for the development of hybrid mobile apps. It relies on technologies like Sass, HTML5, and CSS. Even though ionic is perfect for all sorts of app development projects, it is particularly suited for Progressive Web Apps. Progressive web apps combine the best of both the worlds of apps and websites.
It is essentially an app but you can access it through a web address. Or in other words, you don’t have to download and install it on your mobile devices. You can directly access the app on your web/mobile browser. And the most important thing is that app provides offline feature as well. PWAs bridge the gap between mobile web apps and native mobile apps.
2. Defining Ionic Framework
We have already told you that it is used for Hybrid mobile app development. However, it is extremely popular among app developers all thanks to the number of features it provides. It comes loaded with more than 120 features. Typescript extensions, Bluetooth, Fingerprint Authorization are few examples.
3. Key features of Ionic Framework
Let’s take a look at the key features of Ionic Framework.
- All the functionalities which are associated with native mobile development SDKs are available with Ionic as well. You can develop and customize your apps for any OS. Cordova deployment is also plausible.
- Ionic is known for its powerful CLI.
- Iconic allows you to access elements and make Angular interaction possible.
- It comes with collection repeat feature. It allows you to scroll large lists without affecting the performance.
- Since it is backed by SASS, it is accompanied by several UI components, which makes it possible for you to create robust, advanced applications.
4. The significance of Ionic in Progressive Web Apps development
To properly gauge the significance of Ionic in Progressive Web App development, we need to take a look at some important statistics. Brands like Tinder, Facebook, Uber, Pinterest, BookMyShow, Starbucks, Twitter, Forbes etc. will vouch for the fact that their Ionic PWAs have helped them to reach a wider customer base. And customers started spending more time on the PWA than their native apps.
5. Why should you use the Ionic Framework?
- You will find it extremely easy to move from one platform to the other. Deploying code on different platforms is never an issue here.
- Angular supports Ionic framework. In fact, the Ionic framework is based on Angular’s component API.
- Ionic Framework comes loaded with Cordova plugins. As a result, developers can easily access native features like Bluetooth, GPS, camera etc.
- The most exciting thing about the Ionic framework is that it has CLI (Command Line Interface). Thanks to CLI, you can easily create, program and test apps.
- Thanks to CLI, much faster installation time is possible.
6. Alternatives to Ionic
When it comes to Progressive Web Apps, most developers prefer the Ionic framework. And we have seen why. The biggest of brands in the business have developed their PWAs with the help of the Ionic framework. Big brands understand the significance of their Ionic PWAs in luring customers towards them. Ionic PWS runs smoothly in slower networks. All these reasons make Ionic the perfect framework for PWA development.