In this tutorial, i am going to tell you how to install Node js in Mac OS. But before that let us understand what Node js is and why should we use it?
Why should we use Node JS?
Every programming language has its own benefits, when we talk about Node js, it was developed considering better performance and scalability for software applications. It’s a power-packed tool which is used for large and complex web and mobile applications.
Here are the few reasons to use Node JS.
- It is fast and easy.
- Large single free code base.
- It is fast because of Google support
- It can be used client and server side.
- It supports Mac OS, Windows and Linux.
- Best for building games and chat apps.
- It’s a best used free server side language.
- It is best for enterprise level web applications.
- Code execution is better than other programming languages.
- It enhances the effectiveness of front-end and back-end development.
How to Install Node js in Mac OS?
Head over to node js official website and download the node js installer. You’ll see a few versions, but I would suggest downloading the recommended version.
Once your installer is downloaded, then click on it and let the install wizard do its work. It’ll install both Node and NPM (node package manager), NPM allows us to install other packages in the node_modules folder.
Then accept the agreement and install the node js in your mac os.
Finally it will ask you to make sure /usr/local/bin is in your
$PATH. Run the command to check the path.
# echo $PATH
Use the below method to check whether Node js working correctly or not by using below commands.
# node # > console.log('hello world') # hello world # undefined
‘control’ + ‘c’ twice to come out from the node terminal.
Run the following command to check the node version.
# node -v # v10.15.3